Academic Support

Advisors in the Department of Physics provide academic advising to students majoring or minoring in physics. If you have questions about academic deadlines, course selection, degree requirements, or need general major advice, we are here for you!

Meet your academic advisor

Advising Appointments

Is this your first year at ASU?
First-year students (not including online students) receive advising support in Armstrong Hall.

First-year advising

Current sophomore to senior Tempe students and ALL ASU Online physics majors

Schedule an advising appointment by logging into My ASU and navigating to Academic Support Team > Academic Advising. 

In-person appointments will take place at Bateman Physical Science F-wing, Room 470. 

*First semester ASU Online students must complete a pre-advising course before scheduling an appointment. If you have not received a link to enroll, email Students may be asked to reschedule if the pre-advising course is not completed.

Prospective students 

If you are not yet admitted to ASU or have questions regarding our degrees, please email our department to schedule an appointment. Contact us at 

Academic Forms

Students that need an override to register for a physics course offered by The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The Department of Physics does not provide overrides for physics courses at Polytechnic or West. 

Additional override resources:

  • Ira Fulton School of Engineering - Form
  • College of Integrative Sciences and Arts (Downtown and Polytechnic Campus) - Form - 480-727-1585
  • New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences (West Campus)  - Form - 602-543-5500

Please complete this form if you are experiencing issues or have a concern regarding a physics course or instructor.

This form is used when adding, dropping, swapping, or withdrawing from a course after the add/drop deadline. Please send completed form and instructor permission to Instructor permission/signature may be obtained by email and forwarded to our office. 

To be considered for an overload(19+), you must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete a full term at ASU before the overload term
  • Be in good academic standing and meet GPA requirements (see form)
  • Not repeating a course in overload term

Submit completed petition to Your request will be reviewed within 5 business days. Requests for 25+ credits will have their petition sent to The College for review.

Students wanting to test out of PHY 121 or PHY 131 need to complete the Comprehensive Examination request. PHY 122 and PHY 132 (labs) must be taken and are not included in the comprehensive exam. 

For majors within The College that need to retake a course for a 3rd time. Third-time repeats are not guaranteed to be approved, the unit expects students to complete their major requirements in a timely manner. Fourth-time repeats will not be considered.

Students requesting a grade of "Incomplete" may initiate the process by submitting this form to their instructor. Students should speak with their instructor before submitting form to determine if they are eligible. 

The Department of Physics offers PHY 492 (thesis prep) and PHY 493 (thesis defense) for physics majors conducting their honors thesis with a physics faculty member. 

Faculty Honors Advisor: Ralph Chamberlin,

Students that have secured a research advisor and would like to receive credit may enroll in PHY 495. Students must have an approved research project or research duties in an assigned lab prior to completing the form. 

Resources to help guide you

Academic advisors are here to help you every step of the way, but we encourage students to take ownership of their academic journey. Use these resources to help understand the ins and outs of being on course for graduation and beyond. 

Graduation Audit and Major Map

Understanding your Graduation Audit and Major Map is essential! Students should review their Degree Audit Report at least once a semester and before each advising appointment. 

University and College Requirements


  • 120 hours - Students must complete at least 120 credit hours. Please be aware that even though you may be done with your major course requirements you may still need additional elective credits. Be sure to check your degree audit to see how many credits you have remaining. 
  • 45 upper division hours - Upper division are the 300-499 level classes. You will complete most of the 45 upper division hour requirement with your general studies and major requirements. The remaining upper division hours will be fulfilled by elective credits. 

General Studies 

To view general studies requirements, visit the University undergraduate General Studies requirement page. General Studies requirements are based on catalog year (typically year you are admitted). 

College Requirements

GPA - All The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) in order to graduate. 

Science and Society - The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students in pursuit of a BS degree need to earn 6 credits of science and society with a C or better. These can be shared with any General Studies course.

  • 1 upper division (300-499)
  • 1 upper OR lower division (100-499)

Second language - The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students in pursuit of a BA degree must complete the second language requirement. 


Students obtaining a physics BS may be eligible for an accelerated program in Materials Science and Engineering. Click the link below to learn more about the 4+1 Physics BS to Materials Science and Engineering MS pathway. Students should plan to submit their application in April for a fall start. Interested students may email to determine their eligibility and for the application link. 

4+1 in Materials Science and Engineering 

To be eligible students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Are in the process or have completed PHY 311
  2. Have earned or are in the process of earning 90 credits 
  3. Have a 3.5 ASU Cumulative GPA